Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Restlessocarcinoma leading to…. my first 7 wonders

I don’t quite know what has gotten into me… leading to a hasty and spontaneous decision to travel a hot, hot, hot neighbouring country, remember somewhere that Day went in the first half of the year? Yup, its Cambodia. (click on the word Cambodia to see Day’s blog on this). End stage of boredocarcinoma? Perhaps…

Anyway, it was all crazy… made my decision to travel just 2 days before departure and confirmed the flight just a day before. I was working till 8 something the day before and nothing was packed… no USD changed… Anyhow, here I am typing away after a good, fun journey. All these was possible as I was really lucky to be able to parasit off someone’s backpacking planning :)

The journey itself to KLIA was crazy enough. My sis and I left home at 7 am, which was 4 hours before the departure time on a motorbike to another more convenient location to take a bus to LRT station. Hehe.. so just imagine, before taking the flight, we were travelling by motorbike, bus and LRT, also the really expensive but admitted fast KLIA express. To cut the story short, we only reached KLIA at 9.30 am… but without the boarding pass which would be passed to us by the friend in KLIA.

All in all, all done, and safely on board. 2 hours later, we touched down at Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport :)

Cambodia is a unique and funny country. Things were really different from Malaysia where you can see the driver’s seat on the right side but they are driving also on the right side of the road; there were no lines to divide the both side of roads, let alone a built-up divider; no helmets required for motorcyclist and a motorbike can fetch up to 4 persons in just 1 trip; everything they can think of could be attached to the motorbike including a live pig, tonnes and tonnes of wood…; moving house literally meaning shifting the whole house to a new location; ppl living on the big, famous lake – Tonle Sap with TV charged by generator & batteries and lots, lots more.

This is a new experience for me too as I went on a parasit backpacking trip :)… Yup, backpacking allows one to have ample of time to take as many shots as you like on one location without having to keep an one on the tour guide, able to eat in a modest, cheap, good food & service shop in the market place (we went there everyday…hehe), experience in travelling in a tuk tuk (mototaxi) instead of being shipped to everywhere by air-con bus, talking to monks… (somehow monks approached me for chatting leading to my friends calling the monks my friend)….

Also… Siem Reap housed a big Angkor Complex where you can find the famous, off the form 4 history book – Angkor Wat, one of the 7 wonders of the world…
Its so different to be there… standing among the ruins… which minute detailed carvings on the wall, feeling the air breezed passed you as you climbed higher up. The sunset was just magnificent… really like those you see in the postcard…. :)

Guess i'm a little greedy but i really hope that i could tag along to my friend's trip to Thailand...
Didn’t quite agree with what he told me before this… but I guess he is right… life is great! :)

No comments:

 
Site Meter